Ivy Wood


Jarrolds Pathfinder Guide No. 12 Hampshire and New Forest (walk 20)

Distance: 5 ¼ miles
Car Park: Ivy Wood
Map: OL22 New Forest
Map ref for car park: SU315024

(Extension added by myself)

Another lovely walk around the outskirts of Brockenhurst to start, past the gatehouse to Brockenhurst Park, then up a gravel track to a beautiful little church seated aloof on a rise outside the village.

Along country lanes, open paths and woodlands with the chance again of seeing deer. This is the walk that taught me to always, always take my camera, as a fallow deer leapt down through a field right past me!

At Ditton Farm, instead of turning left along the bridleway before the buildings, I turned right to go around the building that side, across the farm track and following a right of way across a large field of cattle and horses to the edge of Beaulieu Heath. I was rewarded for my effort when I turned to look South. There were the hills of the Isle of Wight rising. As the air and the light were clear in the early evening, the detail of the Island view stood out beautifully. Regretfully my path lay north.

Once past the camping site and off the gravelled trail into the woodland, take care as the way can be very muddy, especially when the loggers have been up there. Another thing to watch for is the path through Ivy Wood back to the car park becoming indistinct. It doesn’t help if you get drawn to the River. However, if you follow the River with it on your left, eventually you will come out to the road and/or the little bridge you pass over at the start of the walk and then it’s just a matter of turning along the road back to the car park from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment