Picket Post to Burley


15 September 2008

Distance: 7 miles
Parking: Picket Post
Map: OL22 New Forest
Map ref for car park: SU791182


The Car Park has great views out over Ringwood and into the heights of Dorset. However, the air quality has been hazy since the sun started coming out so distant vistas can’t be well-defined.
I followed a path around the eastern slope of Foulford Bottom which turned back on itself to emerge on to Smugglers Road, a great name for this broad greenway along the ridge down to Vales Moor. I went along a path a little east of Smugglers Road to come down to the road then, after the bridge, across and up Castle Hill on to a “traffic-free” cycle route – traffic-free except for cars and 4x4s from the houses en route.

I had a wander around the lovely village of Burley, with its witchy shops that sell everything from brooms, cauldrons and hazel wands to wonderful ornaments. You can get lovely fudge here and there’s a fun music shop along the little precinct between the car park and the main road.

To leave Burley I went up the main road that eventually passes the Picket Post car park. There is a handy footpath, gated to prevent ponies, cattle, donkeys, etc. which takes you into Burley Street. I turned right on to Forest Road and where the road bends sharp right, kept straight on up a no through track (for cars) which eventually forks, going right to Turf Croft and left to Turf Farm.

I saw deer. I always do. The nearest one which saw me first was stamping the ground with its forefoot while it was watching me. (In the photo above, the foremost deer has its right foot raised.)

The farmhouse is lovely, a modern-ish brick building but well-laid out with neat stables attached. These people can saddle up and ride straight into the Forest by turning right out of the yard, over a pretty little stream and out on to Ridley Green. A double path (very squelchy but firm underfoot) leads up into Ridley Wood. I followed the westnorthwest path through here and out into Ridley Bottom which goes up to Picket Plain.Once back at the car park, three hours later, I grabbed my lunch and my little tripod seat and sat overlooking the stunningest views while I replenished.

No comments:

Post a Comment