Sweet Wood and Open Plain



14th April 2009

The sun showed his smile and the air was warm, even across the breezy plains of LongCross and Fritham.

I parked at LongCross Plain. The walk was pleasant along a green lawn track across the Plain and then down through trees alongside the fenced fields of Fritham to the Royal Oak. Through the car park and out on to Fritham Plain along a good gravel track past Green Pond and with lovely views on all sides. There were skylarks singing from the sky over both Plains, and twitchers out on Fritham Plain having a great time.

Down into Sloden Inclosure where they've let in the ponies to graze the new grass under the green-tinted trees. Here I was beguiled by grass tracks (the white dashless lines on the map) and glad I was! I'd stopped for a quick break and as I gathered my accoutrements about me again I looked up and there was a doe, still in her winter grey, staring at me from the edge of the trees. I started slowly along the path as she was right where I was heading, and in the end it got too much for her and she bounced away up the track ahead of me.

It was quiet and peaceful and woodpeckers were chatting in morse code across the Forest. I was having a great time.

It got better.

Through a gate and across what I think is a pony drove, a long and wide green track that runs between Sloden and Amberwood Inclosures. There are pony pens further down the track towards the end of Sloden Inclosure which I think might be used during the annual Pony Drift between August and November.

Now into Amberwood Inclosure. More deer. This time a young stag with two does grazing at the edge of the trees by the path. They saw me coming and trotted off, stopping now and then to look back to see what I was doing.

This is the "sweet" wood in the title. Despite the lingering browns and duns of reality between winter and spring, in my mind this place is green, that kind of warm green that is special to old woodlands. The wide track is grass and not as muddy as one might expect. The way undulates through the woods and comes down to a fast-running river with an excellent shallow ford. Today there was a tree fallen across the path - I hope no one ever moves it.

The peacefulness is something I find hard to describe without using a lot of empty cliches. The trickling of the water and the songs of birds, and that's all.

And so onward and upward to a gate where the path branches. However, both forks end at the cycle trail further up. I chose the right hand path, up through another gate and out on to the cycle trail which I've trodden many times with great pleasure. Westward it runs out over Hampton Ridge to Frogham and Godshill.

After being passed by a couple of cyclists ("Hello!") peace descended again.There was a moment standing on a footbridge over the river again where I was so tempted to stop and sit beside the water and just be in the peace and quiet with the sound of the river and the birdsong. Due to the sun starting to fall in the sky I reluctantly walked on and came back to Fritham.

Back up the track beside the fence and instead of going back across the Plain northward, I turned right along a path not shown on the map, to a little stream which is crossable via an obliging tree that grows at a 90 degree angle over it. And so up to the road and the fingerpost at the fork. Across the road, past a beautiful grey pony and then two brown ponies being stalked by a pheasant and watched by a small yellow cat. Further on in a thicket of trees and gorse were two huge pink pigs grubbing and grunting contentedly.

Looking back west across the Plain the 7pm April evening light showed me why it becomes easier to walk from this time of year onwards until the winter comes again. It's a whole different light level. We know it on an intellectual level, but to see it happening gives the concept much more understanding. The Plain still looked so inviting.

And so past a palomino pony with a thick blond fringe and back to the car park. Three hours of wonderful walking, my feet and the backs of my thighs just starting to complain very slightly, and my mind at rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment