Old Winchester Hill (without possible extension to East Meon)

25th May 2010

Old Winchester Hill from Exton, with possible extension to East Meon on a beautiful afternoon in May. The idea, to get out before the schools kicked out and return home after the rush hour. Being as the day was warm and the walk a fair distance, I thought to take my camelback. I didn't store it properly, did I. Parts of it had turned green. I took bottles. I will get another camelback but only when I've learned how to look after it properly! I've read somewhere you should clean and sterilise it, then fill it with water and keep it in the freezer, ready for when you next want to use it.

So, armed with food and hat, phone and camera, sunblocked and repelling all insect-boarders, I set off. Nice drive to Exton, accompanied by Muse. I parked in the shade along the little lane just past the village where the South Downs Way runs through. Two horse riders came up the lane as I was getting organised and that tiny lingering memory of wistful thinking was stirred in me again. I've done my horse-riding and given up all the bolting and being thrown off, but the childhood wish is still there. "Lovely way to spend the day" I said. "Yes, it certainly is" replied the leading rider with a smile.

I followed them across the road to the path and over the bridge, while they rode through the ford. They politely asked if I wanted to go first but they would be naturally quicker than me so I declined. Not thinking, I managed to follow them right past where I should have turned left so I had to retrace my steps and at the fingerpost (!) turn along Garden Lane, an ancient holloway, which goes over the disused Meon Railway (now a foot- and cycle-path) and turns sharp left by a gate in to a sheep field (this turn being missed on the OS map), emerging finally at a T-junction where the Monarch's Way comes in from the left to join the SDW briefly eastwards.

Turning right along the conjoined paths, the way goes up almost to a gate and then dodges left to follow the edge of a cropfield, round to the left at the top alongside the sheepfield and then left at the fingerpost at the top. I would later re-tread this last little bit.

The climb up through the trees and through the gate up to the fort is steep and good for your cardio-vascular system and your legs. The rewards of this Up are great indeed when you get to the ramparts/earthworks of the Fort and look everywhere. The view extends beyond Portsdown Hill, over towards the Isle of Wight, Fawley Chimney, Fawley Refinery, the New Forest with the Dorset hills rising hazily in the distance , round to Beacon Hill, and north to the hills beyond Cheesefoot Head and Winchester. The Down includes Old Winchester Hill takes over and blocks the northward view towards East Meon and Butser Hill. And below, running north to south is the lovely Meon Valley drowsing in the sunlight accompanied by the complaining bleat of sheep.

This is the view I chose to have while I sat and ate a late lunch and after about 15 minutes basking in the sunshine I went on my way.

There is a narrow chalk path that runs along the side of the inner slope of the Down (I found myself battling vertigo again, I thought that had gone!). I chose the Circular Path that goes up through a gate and into the trees above and comes out at the main path from the car parks back to the Fort. I turned left to follow the bridle path through the shade and out across the road.

My plan to extend the walk down to East Meon was scuppered. The SDW goes clear through a large field. There was a problem.

Cows. Lots of cows, black and white Friesians, standing 5 ft at the shoulder and a great Hereford bull in with them. Actually, the bull went and laid down in the grass, but I wasn't to be lulled. This was a combination guaranteed to put me off.

As time was beginning to get on I thought it best to put off this little bit of SDW I hadn't yet walked for now and continue on the back-up route.
I went off down Old Winchester Hill Lane in the direction of Warnford. The view was lovely, the sun warm and beginning to get that golden glow as the afternoon wore on. I decided to try my hand at documentary. The result is a not bad narration but the video footage on my little camera is very shaky, and watching it back made me feel slightly nauseous.

It was a pleasant walk down the road and there was a dear little black-faced lamb in a field looking at me, so I took its photo.

My destination was the Monarch's Way which goes through farmland. I had no idea what this might entail, but from the OS map the waymarkings are line-bordered which means the path is enclosed. Being able to see the land from above, this must mean fencing. The path goes through a metal gate on to a beaten earth and tarmac chipping drive.

This path is a treasure! It goes past fields with views towards Beacon Hill on the right and Old Winchester Hill ahead, and comes over a rise to a view of the valley where the farm and a scattering of cottages nestle. There are some lovely horses on the farm, of varying sizes and colours, white, grey and chestnut. The farm has an eventing course and a show-jumping/dressage arena. I'm pretty sure they have equestrian competitions here.

The path goes round past Peake Cottage, where a man in a barn called out a cheerful "Hello!" It then turns right along a nice, well-kept grass track between fences to the actual farm, which is very nice. The path turns then alongside a barn following the edge of a cropfield and comes out on a wide path. To the left the drive is marked "Private". The Monarch's Way continues round to the right, past fields of safely stored cows to join the SDW at the end of Garden Lane.

I followed the conjoined paths once more up along the cropfield and past the sheepfield to the fingerpost, as before. At the sign this time I turned right instead of left, following the bridleway of the SDW that comes down to the Old Railway and returns to Exton.




















No comments:

Post a Comment