Acres Down to Bolderwood

15 October 2008


Distance: 6/4 miles
Parking: New Forest Acres Down Car Park
Map: Explorer OL22 New Forest
Map ref for car park: SU268097

For route details click here

I chose this route because it was supposed to rain today and the mainly gravel cycle tracks would be better underfoot that "true" Forest paths (the ones designated by single dash lines on the map, which are narrow, sometimes indistinct and muddy or boggy more often than note - the fun ones!) The walk would pass over Forest streams in several places and would take in the autumnal changes of the trees.

Also at this time of year the stags come into rut. Would I be lucky?

Oh yes, I was lucky! At the Bolderwood Deer sanctuary I saw and heard not one, but two stags roaring in separate fields; I didn't get to see a confrontation. Moreover, one of the stags is white. I suppose seeing them properly wild would have been an added bonus but as I had the good fortune I did, I am not complaining.

I did select one "true" Forest path, of course. It was quite naturally muddy, even boggy in places. However, I found a great new use for my walking poles in feeling out the firm ground from the mushier parts. The poles also came into their own while crossing some boggy areas on small pieces of branch laid down for the purpose. Said branches are generally round and narrow. With a pole dug into the ground securely on either side, I maintained my balance with much more ease and consequently this part of the walk was more enjoyable.

I took nearly 100 photographs of deer, streams and scenic views. This is definitely a walk I would do again, perhaps a little more off-(cycle)track next time.

By the way, it didn't rain ...

No comments:

Post a Comment