The Cows of Itchen Valley Country Park


11 October 2008

Map: Explorer OL22 New Forest
Map ref for car park: SU462161 (parking charges apply - from 50p for 1 hour)

I'd decided that I should conquer my cowphobia and the best place to do this would be in the environs of the local country park where I know my escape routes!

The Country Park is situated off Allington Lane, West End, Southampton. It covers 440 acres and includes water meadows, ancient woodland, meadows and grazing pasture, and has many waymarked trails which can be walked separately or made into one or several integrated walks. There is a Paw Trail for dogs and separate cycle and bridle paths, although the bridlepath requires a licence to be paid by users. It is also not for use by walkers or cyclists, presumably for safety reasons.

My excursion took me first into the grazing pasture. At first, I thought I was going to be out of luck. Then through a kissing gate I found cows. They were peacefully grazing. I walked along following the path towards another gate, right beside which was a cow. I would have to pass this one to get to the gate.

Safely negotiated. The cow looked at me rather curiously but simply stood there.

I was ready to approach the water meadows.

Through the trees I could see the cows making their way feedward from the outlying meadows. A large herd of beefstock (a rather sad thought!) all about 2 years old, all de-horned bulls.

There was a family with a small child who went through the kissing gate to watch the cows coming in, and I followed in behind them, content just to watch and see how the animals behaved. This was made more interesting by one of the Country Park rangers who strode down into the meadow and headed straight for the herd. He was intent on something else and went about his business as if the cows were not there. The cows stopped as he approached and stood around watching him. Occasionally a cow would moo at him but they didn't approach him; they just stood there.

I then got talking to a lady with two small dogs, one of which was used to being around cows and took no notice even when a large black muzzle was in its face. This lady used to work with calves and so I asked her about bovine behaviour.

Cows will move away from you if you are walking towards them. If you are bothered by a cow, say something like "boo!" to it in a loud voice. Calves are turned out into fields when they are 5 months old and are still hay-fed for a while until they get the idea that green means food, so if you walking through a field of youngsters they will equate human with hay and may approach and follow you. In my experience, their approach is at a run which can be quite scary, but they will stop and stand looking at you. As you walk on, they will continue to follow until you leave their field. They look so disappointed!

Altogether, it was a most interesting and informative time.

No comments:

Post a Comment