Shave Hat

28 February 2009

For route details click here

This is a lovely walk. The route I planned wasn't very long because I didn't have much time. The paths leading awa from the car park to Shave Hat itself are shown on the map as undotted white paths indicating that there is a definite path but it's less distinct so you do need to keep an eye on the way ahead.

The way was pretty good going considering the time of year until arriving at the undesignated stream further up. The area is a bit boggy. However, testing the solid-looking bits of ground with a tentative boot or a good poke with a walking pole will soon tell you where it's safe to step without losing your leg! The area around the fording place was fairly churned up so I found another way around and soon came to more firm ground again.

Shave Hat is a sudden open lawn amid the forest. It has a peaceful, friendly feel and I can imagine that at dawn the place is probably full of deer.

I did see quite a few deer on my walk. Actually I heard them before I saw them crashing about in the bushes before dashing off in any direction except mine. I get the impression that this place is generally quiet as it is quite off the beaten track (sorry!) of the main attractions of the New Forest.

From Shave Hat my way continued along well-laid out and rarely muddy paths through Shave Green Inclosure where I heard my first woodpecker of the year. Spring is definitely coming apace!

Eventually my route led down to the road opposite Hazel Hill car park where I turned left to head back to my car. There was an interlude of lawn along the way bathed in the warm late afternoon sun. Soon the way came back to the road and across to the other side that led across a peaceful little glade to the car park. As always, hot tea and jaffa cakes to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment