Three Ponds

17 March 2009

For route details click here

The three ponds in question are Janesmoor, Cadman's and Green. The one pictured left is Janesmoor on the plain of the same name.

In the glorious arrival of spring heralded by the silent yet blaring trumpets of the sun over the last few days, how can anyone ignore the call of the wild - or in the case of the New Forest, the semi-wild.

With boots on and jacket left behind (it started getting chilly about 5pm as the sun began to wester), I stretched my legs blissfully along the lovely lawns of Janesmoor Plain, past the pond and towards the road.

Now, the pink ice cream van was parked where I wanted to cross, and the afternoon was warm, and I haven't had an ice cream van ice cream for AGES and I had money in my pocket - what was I to do? I had an ice cream - with a flake and raspberry sauce.

Ice cream in hand I crossed the road and headed sunward past the Bentley Inclosures towards Cadman's Pool. There are two islands in the water and a colony of Canada geese. It was all very sunny-gold and peaceful.

From here I wandered off away from the cars and into the woods, following a vague path through leaves and over tree roots down to a pathway as marked on the map. This is Anses Wood and proper woodland, not Inclosure. There is a pretty river runs through it which has to be forded and although there is a specific place marked on the map, it's possible to cross in various places.

From the ford and up Freeworms Hill to Fritham Plain. As you come out from the screen of the woods to the left, a panorama opens out across Rakes Brakes Bottom and takes your breath away as it takes you by surprise.

On up to Fritham Plain, along the right path of the fork towards Green Pond beside which there is a little copse of trees. And there waiting for me was a small group of 6 or 7 deer. I managed to get a shot of them, and later another as they wandered away towards Freeworms Hill.

Turning east now, I passed one curious object in the ground a way to the right, then came upon another right alongside my path. It turns out that these are wells! I opened the one I was passing - the lid is extremely heavy, I suppose so that children can't lift it and fall in. The well is quite deep, enough to be a danger to a child, and although the water looked crystal clear, I wasn't brave enough to try it. I replaced the lid, took a couple of photos and moved on.

The borders of Fritham. Right here, past a very thin-looking grey yearling pony. I hope they soon start to fatten well on the new spring grass!

I chose to cross the footbridge further along and follow the track up round between the fence of North Bentley Inclosure and the fences of Fritham's farmland. I wish I'd gone into the Inclosure instead! The track is a cow-way and you can imagine the churned up mess of the ground. Not so bad today as there hasn't been much rain recently and as long as I stepped between the holes the cows' feet have made, the mud was reasonably firm.

Once off this lot, it was back out to the Plain and a concrete path. I know little about this area and can only surmise that this is something like the concrete paths of Beaulieu Heath, further south, and had some connection with air transport during WWII. As I was walking along, I heard a sudden shout of "Come back here!" and looked around to see a lady emerging from the Inclosure and two black labs charging ahead to find out who I was. They were very friendly and soon lost interest in me.

And so back across the road eventually and to my car, where I realised I was thirsty (I did have water with me in my "holster" so it wasn't difficult to get to!). 5.30 pm, on a Tuesday ... rush hour ... actually the traffic was fine coming home but I didn't like the look of the queues going out of Southampton, I must say.

No comments:

Post a Comment