Winter Days Diary - Local Park


13 December 2008

Not a terribly adventurous walk but it got me "out of the house" and into some fresh air. It was grey, damp, a little bit boringly milder than it has been recently and all the fun of sheeting rain and howling gales had blown itself out sometime during the morning.

The River Itchen was in spate full to overflowing and was in a tearing hurry to get somewhere; probably away from the slightly sewerish scent that wafted across the footpath now and then. I'm quite sure that wasn't coming from the River though. The land about gets waterlogged and some of the more permanent pools of standing water have an oily look about them sometimes.

A couple of moorhens stood looking rather glumly at the water until a human got a bit close and then the water obviously seemed a better option than the footpath. Of ducks and swans I saw not a one. They had more sense than did I and the plethora of dog walkers who'd been waiting for the weather to clear before doing their duty.

From the park, I came back round a steep crescent which every year puts on a fabulous Christmas light show. This year, the show is a bit later but from the unlit evidence it looks like they could light up our post-Christmas dinner stroll again this year.

Oh well, not a very bright or inspired walk but it cleared the airways and stretched my legs for half an hour. I even took some photos. I'll be glad when the afternoons start stretching out again...


No comments:

Post a Comment